Showing posts with label BJP. Show all posts
Showing posts with label BJP. Show all posts

Monday, September 20, 2010

BJP asks for Rs 5,000-crore package

NEW DELHI: With heavy incessant rains and landslides wreaking havoc in the hilly areas of Uttarakhand, a senior BJP delegation, led by NDA working chairman L K Advani called on the Prime Minister on Monday.

Demanding immediate help from the Centre, the BJP leaders asked the Prime Minister to declare Uttarakhand as a disaster-struck State and the release of a Rs 5,000-crore package for the state.

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, stated one of the members from the BJP delegation Tarun Vijay, was ‘very responsive.’ Going beyond politics, he extended full support and all possible help in the meeting, which lasted for about half-an-hour. He directed the Cabinet Secretary to be in touch with the state authorities.

In the memorandum submitted to the Prime Minister, the BJP said that Uttarakhand had been struck by an unprecedented disaster with incessant rains.

In the last 24 hours, more than 61 people had died from Almora to Rudraprayag, Chamoli, Nainital and other far-flung areas.

It said that in the last one month massive landslides, floods, water logging, flash floods and cloud burst had resulted in the loss of 150 human lives and the damaging of private and public properties worth Rs 5,000 crore. In August, 18 children died in a cloud burst rendering hundreds homeless in Pithorgarh.

The delegation urged that the Western Command of IAF be directed to provide four helicopters - 2 Chetak and 2 MI 17 - to Uttarakhand government for a fortnight for food, medical and other relief-related aid.

The delegation apprised the Prime Minister of the threat from the Tehri dam, which had attained its maximum permissible level and incessant rains in the upstream of river Bhagirathi and Bhilangana presenting a serious threat.

In the downstream areas, the river Ganga had already crossed the danger level while other major rivers in the state such as Yamuna, Gomti, Kosi and Saryu, all flowing above danger level.

Besides the financial assistance of Rs 5,000 crore, the BJP leaders sought additional support to strengthen and reinforce the Border Road Organisation and also the NHAI.

Friday, September 10, 2010

Uttarakhand yet to take a final call on GST

Despite its opposition, the BJP-ruled Uttarakhand is yet to take a final call on the controversial Goods and Service Tax (GST) which is expected to come into force next year.

A government official told Business Standard that the state government is taking an expert opinion in order to take a final decision on the GST, a bone of contention between the BJP ruled states and the centre.

The official, however, remained tightlipped whether Chief Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank, who is vehemently opposing the GST mainly on the plank of state’s financial autonomy, would change his opinion in case the experts favour the GST. "See Uttarakhand is basically a consumers state not an industrial one. A preliminary assessment shows that the GST will not harm the interests of the state as it is being projected. Secondly, let the expert opinion comes, we will taka a final call," said the official.

Uttarakhand is opposing the GST saying the state was not in agreement with the proposed amendments in the present form as there is hardly any provision for safeguarding the financial autonomy of the states particularly for newly states like Uttarakhand. In a letter to the central empowered committee on GST, the hill state wants to hold talks with stake holders on the issue. Under the new GST regime, the state also seeking to retain its hold for imposing tax on at least 10 items.

The Chief Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank is of the view that the state should be empowered in such a way that it can financially support itself in case of an emergency.

Monday, January 12, 2009

Uttarakhand minister offers to quit if govt's involvement proved

Dehradun, Jan 11: Uttarakhand Food and Civil Supplies Minister Diwakar Bhatt on Sunday asserted that the state government had no role in the withdrawal of a case against him and said he would resign from the post if the allegation is proved.

The case, which was withdrawn recently on the order of a Haridwar court, dates back to 17 years and pertains to the alleged use of fraudulent papers to lease a large chunk of land in Haridwar belonging to Haridwar Municipal Council.

Bhatt reportedly has been running a society called ‘Tarun Himalaya’ on that land since then.

Bhatt said that it was the previous Congress government led by N D Tiwari that had prayed to the court to take back the case against him.

Bhatt further said at that time, the court did not allow the government to withdraw the case as two more persons were also involved in the matter.

The-then government again approached the court to drop the case against all the accused. "The recent order of the court to allow the government to take back the case has come on the-then government's plea only," Bhatt claimed.

Bhatt's statement came after a Congress delegation led by Uttarakhand PCC President Yashpal Arya met Governor B L Joshi yesterday to lodge a protest against state government's move to take back criminal cases against its minister and other leaders belonging to BJP and friendly parties. The leaders urged the Governor to intervene in the matter.

Bhatt is the lone minister from Uttarakhand Kranti Dal (UKD), the coalition partner of BJP government in the state.

Source: www.zeenews.com

Thursday, August 21, 2008

BJP Uttarakhand rebels to revive anti-CM stir after local polls

NEW DELHI: Unfazed by the BJP leadership ruling out change of leadership in Uttarakhand, party rebels opposed to Chief Minister B.C. Khanduri on Monday said they have decided to lie low till the on-going Panchayat elections get over in September. "The crisis is not yet over. We have not given up our demand for change of guard in Uttarakhand. But keeping in mind the Panchayat elections-- results of which will be declared on September 13-- we have decided not to press the matter further," one of the rebel ministers in Khanduri's cabinet said on condition of anonymity. The nominations for the panchayat polls are on in Uttarakhand. Polling will be held in the hill state on September 5, 7 and 10. Results will be declared on September 13. "There is no question of going back on our stand for removal of Khanduri. He has not been able to win over even one minister to his side. After the Panchayat results are out, we hope the central leadership will replace Khanduri without any pressure from us," said one of the rebel MLAs. BJP spokesperson Rajiv Pratap Rudy, however, said the issue has been taken care of. "There are no plans for a change in leadership. The grievances of the MLAs have been heard at highest level and their points would be taken care of," he told reporters.


Source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/India/BJP_Uttarakhand_rebels_to_revive_anti-CM_stir_after_local_polls/articleshow/3353307.cms

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

2 power projects off in Uttarakhand

June 20, 2008, The Uttarakhand government today decided to stave off the construction of two major hydel projects on the Bhagirathi river in the wake of the fast-unto-death by G D Agrawal, an environmentalist spearheading the "save Bhagirathi" campaign.
The decision to put off the construction of the 480-Mw Pala Maneri and 400-Mw Bhairon Ghati projects was taken at a cabinet meeting presided over by Chief Minister B C Khanduri, a state government official said.
The indefinite fast by Agrawal since June 13 has put considerable pressure on the BJP government with the Sangh Parivar outfits also lending their full support.
However, the state government has made it clear that the decision on stopping the construction of the 600-Mw Lohari Nagpala project would be taken by the Centre since it was being constructed by the state-run NTPC.
Both the Pala Maneri and Bhairon Ghati projects were allotted to the state-owned Uttarakhand Jal Vidyut Nigam Ltd (UJVNL), which recently commissioned the 304-Mw Maneri Bhali-II. An investment of nearly Rs 5,200 crore was proposed in these two projects.
A UJVNL official described the move as a big setback to the company, saying it would jeopardize the government's initiative to become self-reliant in power.
Source:http://www.business-standard.com/common/news_article.php?autono=326620&leftnm=3&subLeft=0&chkFlg=

Monday, June 23, 2008

Two BJP leaders held in dehradun for gangrape

Two BJP leaders held for gangrape

Statesman News Service DEHRADUN, June 23: Following the arrests of two local BJP leaders today, other links to the state secretariat are being speculated in connection with the gang rape case, which has rocked the capital. The chief minister has also issued stern orders to the SSP Dehradun to speed up the investigation process and book the culprits irrespective of their post and status. Nineteen-year-old Kavita (name changed) was reportedly raped by people working in the Uttarakhand secretariat in connivance with her cousin. Kavita, who was working for an NGO, was taken to the secretariat by her cousin who had promised her a job there. She was then driven by car to a resort where she was raped by five people, two of whom were introduced to her as officers. The hapless girl was threatened not to tell police and then abandoned. Kavita stayed silent about the incident for almost two months but finally she and her family members decided to report the matter to the police. This disclosure shocked the capital and the police immediately started investigations. After the arrest of the two BJP leaders, some officers and employees of the secretariat are suspected as the police is still on the lookout for the driver of the car and two other men charged with rape. SSP Amit Sinha said he was not ready to divulge any information in this regard but that the case would be worked out soon. The IG Garhwal Ashok Kumar said the police is working on different lines and did not rule out the possibility of political rivalry.Using this opportunity, the Congress has also taken to the streets on this issue.

Source: http://www.thestatesman.net/page.news.php?clid=2&theme=&usrsess=1&id=209636

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Uttarakhand hit by unemployment

Dehradun, 12 Feb 2007 There are more than 4.5 lakh unemployed youth in Uttarakhand. The number of registered unemployed youth stands at 31.97 per cent.
The number of jobs created in the past five years has barely crossed 4 per cent of the total number of registered unemployed youth.
The creation of Uttarakhand held out many promises people in the state say the promises remain unfulfilled.
“I have four sons who work outside the State, we both live alone. The creation of Uttaranchal has changed nothing for us,” says Jagadeshwari Bahuguna, a retired schoolteacher.

Twenty-five-year-old Jitendar thought his diploma in electric engineering would be his ticket to a successful career in Uttarakhand.
But he works relentlessly in a makeshift shop in his village saving every rupee he can to migrate to the plains where he hopes his prospects of a career will be better.
“Though it is a small state and there were endless opportunities for creating jobs there is nothing for you. Everyone is migrating to the plains and I too will do the same,” Jitender said.
The Congress party insists it has created employment opportunities for the youth.
“The BJP should not talk about unemployment in the State, when they were in power industries were closed down we have given the youth job opportunities by setting up many industries, easy loan schemes and all,” spokesperson for the Congress Party Surendar Agarwal said.
But the Opposition says they have just not done enough.

“Whenever the Assembly was in session we raised this question, but the ruling party paid no heed,” the BJP’s Matbar Singh Kandari said.

Employment opportunities for the states youth are a major issue in every party’s election manifesto in this Assembly election.
Source: http://www.ndtv.com